This is all made possible by a nifty little Java app written by armzilla. Here’s a quick explanation of the setup:
||Vera Home Controller
|The Echo will communicate with Phillips Hue controllers, but my setup is Vera based… what to do?
||Add a Raspberry Pi- the Raspberry Pi emulates the Phillips controler and transposes it to ‘Vera speak’
||The Vera is setup with both on and off scenes for the lights that you want to control
Here are the basic steps I used:
- The latest Raspbian has Java 8 installed, so I used that. I got the Raspbian image from the Raspberry Pi site and ‘burned it’ on a SD card- (I use Apple Pi Baker).
- Next, I downloaded the Java app and dumped it in the
/home/pi folder. I wrote a small
bash script to make running it a little easier- this looks like this:
- I used this method to startup the Java app on boot.
- I created both on and off versions for all of my scenes on my Vera- scenes like
room- master bed on [id: 58] and
room- master bed off [id: 59] - make note of the IDs of these scenes, you’
ll need these later
- The configuration of the Java app is done using by using a RESTful API. I used a OS X based tool called Paw To do this. My commands (in text form), looked like this: The
name value is the word(s) your want to use to control the Echo. The on/off IDs are at the end of the on/offUrl values
- repeat for all scenes you want to control via your Echo. Also, you’ll probably want to save these commands as I used the
Forget button on the
Connected Home settings screen a number of times while trying to make this work right.
- Lastly, tell echo to discover your emulated controller. The command to do this is
Alexa, discover devices
- Once ‘she’ finds the devices, you can control them using the command
Alexa, turn master bedroom on
This is certainly a hack, but it seems to be working OK for me over the last couple of days. It would be nice if they just played together natively.
This seems to be the easiest way to start something up on bootup of Rasperian…
crontab -u pi -e
- and add
@reboot sh /home/pi/amazon_echo.sh
Here’s the front-end development stack that I’m leaning towards for a new build that I’m contemplating (at this specific momement):
Today, it’s looking like Facebook is winning my attention on open source projects - not sure why this is. I’m still interested in Google’s Angular, but am feeling like jumping into that ecosystem might feel a little locked in- React may feel like the same thing, but I guess I’ll see…
jekyll is a
ruby tool, I’m using
rake to manage it. Here’s my
This seems to work- it opens up the markdown file in vi (which I suppose is what my bash editor is set to) so that will take some getting used to - or I could cheat and not learn vi - which I’ve been putting off for about 20 years now.
Moving this site over to Jekyll
This is clever
+Math.PI.toFixed(0); // 3
+Math.PI.toFixed(1); // 3.1
+Math.PI.toFixed(2); // 3.14
+Math.PI.toFixed(3); // 3.142
+Math.PI.toFixed(4); // 3.1416
+Math.PI.toFixed(5); // 3.14159
toFixed(x) converts the number to a string and prefixing with the ‘+’ converts it back to a number. Found here
After trying to sort out what a toolset should be for standard JS / HTML / possibly Node development, I’m narrowing on just using npm. Here’s the reference material that got me to this place:
npm as front-end package management (bower replacement)
npm as build tool (grunt / gulp replacement)
What I’ve found so far is that I’ve had to install more npm packages that I thought I would- these are to make up for npm’s shortcomings in running scripts. Mostly I can see how this would be a huge pain if I were dev-ing on Windows (which I hopefully never will).
Here’s a link to the package.json file that I’m playing with now - it’s mostly based on the package.json file in this project.
So, lets see if it works without too many weird hoops…
Stumbled across Codeship and decided to give it a shot. Works a little similar to deploying to Heroku which I’m already doing, so it wasn’t too bad to figure out.
Because Heroku stores deployment specific data in environment variables, my little application was pretty much already set up for Codeship. I had to export the variables a little differently. Also, I learned quickly that you had to set the Ruby version using RVM in the setup and the test command. Here is my setup - the environment vars are set so the tests can pass:
and here is my test command:
and the poop is passing (at least right now it is)…
Found the answer why this was happening here: http://blog.izs.me/post/56827866110/wtf-is-emfile-and-why-does-it-happen-to-me
Posting it here because this worked: